Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I want to try on your clothes

My team did something very sweet for my last game: during our skakeout, everyone donned fake glasses and argyle socks in my honor (the argyle socks stayed for the game; the glasses, more impractical, did not).

Will the real Judy Gloom please stand up? Photo by Susanica Tam aka Mia More.

The song we skated to was Bikini Kill's "Rebel Girl," one of my teenage anthems. So, I thought I'd share this video of BK's/Le Tigre's Kathleen Hanna covering "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in December. It's more than a cover -- it's a performance piece wherein she talks about the night she spent with Kurt Cobain that inspired the song. And she breaks into a bit of "Rebel Girl" toward the end. It's 10 minutes long, but really fun to watch.



One of my many new year's resolutions is to write more, so I hope that translates into an increase in blog updates. There will be a lot less about derby (obv), and you can probably expect more writerly type stuff as I try to flex those atrophied muscles, but I still hope you'll hang with me. I'm kind of loving 2011 so far.

No comments: