Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mexican Bike Ride

Last weekend, I participated in the bi-annual Rosarito-Ensenada 50-mile bike ride, now in its 32nd year. In the weeks beforehand, whenever I mentioned the ride to someone, the response was invariably the same.

"Is that safe?"

"I'll let you know."

It's an organized event and thousands of people participate each year. On the route's urban stretches, children lined the road with outstretched hands, waiting for the passing riders to toss candy. I felt bad that I was unprepared for this, so I plan to load up next year.

Here's the ride in photos, most of which were taken by Chris.

Chris sizing up the competition at the start line. I appreciated his ensemble because the yellow shorts were easy to spot in the distance when we got separated.

Lady Gladiators (Kathy included).

"If only he was towing a dog . . . and not drinking Tecate Light."

Jesus Shaves.

Message to Zico Coconut Water: SMD.

Fun with photostitch.

The ride is billed as the "number one party on wheels." It seemed like a lot of riders blew their wads early and walked some of the gnarly hills. The route was challenging (and an interesting choice for a party ride), but even after stopping for the occasional beer or margarita along the way, I never considered walking my bike.


And the video that says it all:

4 comments:

Chris said...

For the record, I have no problem with Tecate Light. I can only assume he was concerned that the little bars along the way wouldn't stock it. I admire his commitment to "his" beer.

TT said...

"Is it safe?" Lame. People are so scurred of Mexico. Come on! Sounds like a blast. iBravo!

allison orphan said...

aww! this looks like a total blast!!

Jennybugg said...

That video was fantastic! You are a sensation! I'm totally in next year.